Supporting Our Local Businesses
The people who live and work in Southern Gables are pretty special. We know that a neighborhood is more than just houses close to each other. It starts out that way but then grows into a network where people develop relationships, like each other, maybe have an occasional squabble, and, if all goes well, develop “a sense of community.” It goes beyond the lot lines and the walls of the homes.
Our Local Business Supporters are a big part of our Southern Gables community. In the Southern Gables Neighborhood Association we aim to strengthen the beneficial relationship between local businesses and the people who live here. Our “local businesses” include not only the shops and services that are located nearby, but also the businesses that employ or are supported by our neighbors. It is a worthy goal to support each other.
Supporting local businesses can bring lots of benefits to both the local economy and our community as a whole. Some of the benefits include:
- Promoting local innovation: Local businesses are often more likely to experiment with new products and services, and to respond quickly to the needs of their local community. By supporting local businesses, you can help to foster local innovation and keep your community at the forefront of new ideas and trends.
- Building a sense of community: Local businesses are often owned by people who live in the same community as their customers. By supporting local businesses, you can help to build a stronger sense of community, foster relationships and create a unique local identity.
- Reducing environmental impact: Local businesses are often smaller and have less transportation needs than larger corporations. By supporting local businesses, you can help to reduce the environmental impact of transporting goods and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Strengthening the local economy: When you support a local business, you are investing in your community’s economy. This helps to create jobs, stimulate economic growth and keep money circulating within the local area.
- Maintaining diverse choices in available goods and services: Supporting local businesses helps to maintain the diversity of products and services offered within a community, preventing the homogenization that can result from the dominance of large national chains.
Overall, supporting local businesses can help to create a stronger, more vibrant, and sustainable community.